The not yet accessible, original test tube with nucleic acid from Friedrich Miescher is the main focus of the presentation. Miescher had discovered the substance, which was first identified as carrier of the genetic material decades later, in the year 1869 in this place.
In the former kitchen of the Tübingen castle the university set up a chemical laboratory in 1818 which soon became one of the worldwide first research centers for biochemistry. Georg Carl Sigwart and Julius Eugen Schlossberger belonged to the pioneers of this subject that researched the chemical advances in the living, especially the human’s metabolism.
Outstanding research was carried out by the early Tübingen biochemistry in the era of Felix Hoppe-Seyler who was appointed as professor in 1861. He researched the red blood pigment and named it “haemoglobin”.