History of Science Collection

The History of Science Fund was created primarily thanks to the commitment of the Tübingen biologist PD Dr. Alfons Renz and consists of about 300 technical devices and instruments significant to the history of science, primarily from the subjects of chemistry and physics, but also from the Hygiene Institute, the Eye Clinic, and other disciplines.

They bear witness to the material culture of various natural science subjects in general and the contribution of Tübingen researchers in particular. The oldest apparatus, often built by Tübingen University mechanics, date back to the nineteenth century. Furthermore, the collection includes teaching materials, microscopic specimens, and related documents. Numerous objects from different scientific collections are recorded in the eMuseum of the MUT.

To the collection in the eMuseum (selection)

Highlights of the Collection

Molecular model of Au3Co made of colored painted wooden spheres of different sizes
Wissenschaftsgeschichte Highlight
Molecular model of Au3Co made of colored painted wooden spheres of different sizes
Small sign with holes in the corners for mounting on the wall
Small sign with holes in the corners for mounting on the wall
Wissenschaftsgeschichte Highlight
Hilger E3 spectrograph with quartz prism, 1924-1930
Hilger E3 spectrograph with quartz prism, 1924-1930

Visit collection

Opening hours

Currently not open to the public

Tours

Tours currently not available

Curator

Contact
Dr. Edgar Bierende
Tel: 07071-2977481

Send email

Address

Museum of the University of Tübingen MUT | Depot
Sand 5
72076 Tübingen