The biggest part of the collection is held auf der Morgenstelle, a smaller display collection is held in the Sigwartstraße. The latter is open to the public. On the top floor, an extensive presentation of many vertebrates and insect groups from Central Europe, the ground floor dedicates itself to exotic animals from Africa, Asia, Australia and America. The oldest preparations at the age of about 160 years were partly donated by the Württemberg royal family. Many of the displayed animals are meanwhile extinct or are endangered species. Another special feature is the momentarily inaccessible collection of 32 glass teaching models of marine invertebrates by the glassblowers Leopold (1822-1895) and Rudolph Blaschka (1857-1939), of whose works only a good 100 copies still exist in Germany.
Radiolaria (Aulosphaera elegantissima). Glass model of the radial pebble skeleton of a marine protozoon. Produced by the glassblowers Rudolf and Leopold Blashka, 1885. Currently no tour of the glass models is possible
Skeleton of a southern brown kiwi (Apteryx australis)
Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus), mammal native to Australian waters with astonishing characteristics such as egg hatching, poison glands and electrical orientation
Wed to Thu 9am till 12pm
and 1pm till 4pm
“Sundays at Two” (every second Sunday of the month at 2pm) Group tours upon arrangement