Physics Collection

The Physics Institute emerged from the “physical cabinet” which had been located at Hohentübingen Castle since 1851. In 1885, the institute moved to a separate building in Gmelinstraße; today it is located on Morgenstelle. Since its beginnings, the physics department has had a collection of devices. Today, it also includes historical apparatus, such as measuring instruments, polarization apparatus, and diffraction gratings. Among them is an electrostatic potential multiplier after Albert Einstein (1879–1955) from 1910, which was acquired by the then director of the institute Fritz Paschen (1865–1947) around 1920. In addition, there is an exchange of letters between the jurist and Old Germanist Felix Genzmer (1878–1959) and Albert Einstein, as well as a curious tin cat with an attached miniature bicycle. This “sociale object” was used in a student exam ritual and played a role in the “integration of expert teams” until the early 1980s.

Highlights of the Collection

Electron interference at the double slit, Claus Jönsson 1960
Electron interference at the double slit, Claus Jönsson 1960
Plug rheostat (variable electrical resistance meter), 1903
Plug rheostat (variable electrical resistance meter), 1903
Inductor after Heinrich Daniel Rühmkorff (1803-1877). This model has an automatically operating contact breaker based on the principle of Wagner's hammer
Inductor after Heinrich Daniel Rühmkorff (1803-1877). This model has an automatically operating contact breaker based on the principle of Wagner's hammer

Visit collection

Opening hours

By appointment

Tours

Tours currently not available

Curator

Custodian
Dr. Günter Lang
Tel: 07071-2972426  

Send email

Admission

Free of charge

Address

Physics Collection | Institute of Physics
Auf der Morgenstelle 14
72076 Tübingen