In 1810 the royal head of studies already planned to move the university’s chemical laboratory into the former court kitchen of the Castle of Tübingen. However, the then chair holder Carl Friedrich Kielmeyer refused this request emphatically. After Kielmeyer’s departure the move was carried out in 1818.
The castle laboratory was, thereby, set up through high costs of 6000 guldens for Gmelin and was even extended to the neighboring former laundry room. However, the remote location on the castle hill as well as the dark and cold walls made the work there unattractive. Thus, for a long time, especially students and doctoral students populated the laboratory in the castle.
In the end, Gmelin handed over the management of the laboratory to Georg Carl Ludwig Sigwart who worked in a neighboring room of the castle laboratory and carried out biochemical research as one of the pioneers of the subject. The castle laboratory became the independent discipline - cradle of biochemistry, especially from 1846 onwards. That year Julius Eugen Schloßberger was appointed as extraordinary professor for applied chemistry, and Gmelin’s general chemistry moved into a new laboratory in the Wilhelmstraße.
Especially outstanding research was accomplished in the era of Felix Hoppe-Seyler who was appointed as professor in 1861. He examined the red blood pigment and named it “hemoglobin”.