The former kitchen in Hohentübingen Castle was converted into the first biochemical laboratory in the early 19th century, and is a prominent place of science history today. The first German biochemist Carl Sigwart worked here from 1818; Felix Hoppe-Seyler researched and named hemoglobin here, and Friedrich Miescher discovered nucleic acid here in the year 1869, the raw substance of the hereditary substance DNA and RNA. Thanks to the financial support of the Tübingen biopharma company CureVac, the university set up an interactive permanent exhibition on the history of biochemistry in Tübingen in the historic room of the Castle Laboratory in the year 2015. The still existing test tube from Friedrich Miescher containing nucleic acid forms the center of the presentation. Historical laboratory instruments and preparations are also presented.
Highlights of the Collection
Castle Laboratory in the year 1879. One can see into the second laboratory room through the opened, today walled up, door.
historical hemoglobin preparation, late 19th century
Test tube with nucleic from salmon sperm, inscribed by Friedrich Miescher and bearing his name (around 1871)